Welcoming WordPress 2.7 with an updated Grid Focus release

WordPress 2.7 is available for download. The update packs a number of new features that any current or new WordPress user will welcome with open arms.

WordPress Upgrader

Automatic updates

WordPress 2.6 already offered immediate plugin updates directly from within the admin Dashboard. 2.7 adds a little more convenience by providing that same functionality PLUS core – WordPress upgrades – updates.

The WordPress Upgrader will give you the option of downloading, installing, and upgrading to the latest WordPress version from your Administration Panel.

Rest assured that the added functionality is for convenience purposes. Automatic updates are initiated by a site admin and are not done automatically behind the scenes.

Significant Dashboard updates

Admin Dashboard screenshot

This latest update will take some getting used – navigation, shortcuts, and controls. Fortunately, most of the primary functions are available front and center (less digging through menus).

Sticky posts

Somewhere between normal posts and excerpts / asides. WordPress 2.7 provides a new editor option which allows users the option to "stick" post(s) to your front page. Great for featuring and protecting content that you do not want pushed off of the front.

Grid Focus WordPress theme update

Grid Focus updated for WP 2.7

A long overdue update for the Grid Focus theme originally released in May 2007. Grid Focus is WordPress 2.6 / 7+ compatible. If you want the threaded comments feature enabled, please update to WP 2.7 before installing. Save any personal modifications you may have made to the theme before updating (most of the code was re-written and cleaned up). More details, a summary, and demo of the update can be found on the download page.

1. Ari says:

How do I get “Browse by Topic” on the navigation strip working?

Can you try hosting jQuery locally rather than fetching the file off of Google Code? I’ve updated the theme download which uses jQuery from the themes js directory.

• Ari says:

You lost me. I have no idea what that means. Sorry.

• Ari says:

Any hints on how I try hosting jQuery locally rather than fetching the file off of Google Code?

• Ari says:

Never mind, I got it handled.
      It turned out to be as simple as a conflict with one of the plugins I was using.
      But thanks for your help.

2. Carlos says:

Hello Derek,

I am sorry to bug you again. But I have one more question regarding the Sub-menu that appears on the browse. How do I change that so it specifically brings up 2 pages. Rather the CATEGORIES.

Its like a Java Script, but it can not find the script nor how to change it.

Thanks,

CR

3. Drix says:

Hi again!

So, how do I position images in posts with the float classes? I’m not too familiar with layout in css.

Thanks again for a great theme!

4. Curtis says:

First sorry I commented on the wrong article the other day. (If you havn’t noticed it yet.. then scratch that last statment.) I just realized you had comments on this page!

Either way do you ever have problems with this theme showing up in Internet Explorer? I think my footer is off. Any help is much appreciated. I luv the work guy… really clean.

The theme was fully tested in IE6 & IE7 with no rendering issues. If you are having issues, you may have added content that exceeded the constraints of the different sidebars.

5. CURTIS says:

Thanks DMAN

I figured it out. I started over and retraced all of my steps. I’m good now… even figured out the adsense.

6. Carlos says:

Hello Derek,

I am having some problems with the site when is published. Here is the folder you can test drive it

THe front page is good but the other pages are not showing up correctly? Would you please let me know what is the problem with it? My deadline is way past overdue for the launch of our site. I would appreciate it.!

It seems that something is triggering the page to be just like the footers.

Thanks,

Thanks

7. hey derek,

first off – THANK YOU for all of your work with grid focus. love it! i’m using the first release of grid focus and want to update. however, i’ve made a few personal mods and don’t want to mess things up or crash the page.

is there an easy way to update to the new version of grid focus? ie: replace certain files and folders, but not all of them? do you have any recommendations or work-arounds?

thanks,

ryan

You can use a file diff application to compare your current files against the updated files. Sorry there wasn’t a updates list. Most of the theme ended up being re-written for cleanup. On Macs if you install the Developer Tools there are a few useful apps inside – one of which is FileMerge. Not sure of file diff applications on Windows.

8. Twig says:

I have no idea what the issue is, but no matter what column I have selected, every widget I add is added to Primary – Index.
    ANY insight to this odd problem would be wonderful.

9. Twig says:

As soon as I hit add, the page starts loading, changes my column selection back to Primary – Index and the widget is already added to it.

10. Peter says:

Hi,
    Dereck I love your theme, looks very professional
    Thanks

K, I had the same problem with IE
    IE cuts the footer because you’ve pasted a blog post from MS Word, it adds extra characters into the HTML and messes up the code. Try pasting the from notepad or use WordPress’s paste from Word post editor function
    In my case it also removed boyh columns from the main page.
    Good Luck

11. Soulculture says:

Hi Derek,
    thanks again for this theme.
    Just having a few problems with aligning text and pictures on posts.
    Im trying to alight the pictures to the left or the right and have text next to it.
    but no matter what code i put in it never works..
    Don’t know if anyone else has encountered this.
    Also I removed one of the sidebars in the stylesheet.. but it keeps pushing the sidebar under the main section.. any ideas on how to solve this? thanks

12. Annie says:

Hi Derek –
    I LOVE your theme. Thank you for all you’ve created. This is absolutely the best theme out there.
    I am not sure if the problem I’m having is with the theme or WP. I’ve modified header.php somewhat, as well as the style sheet. My issues revolve around the widgets and getting them to work properly in the correct columns. When I select any of the column, primary – index etc, click on show, I only get the verbiage 1 widget selected. The choice of widget doesn’t show up. Then when viewing the site, they all show up in the primary – index file. And I can’t seem to get any widgets into the secondary shared column.

If you get a chance to view the site, you see that I did change it somewhat, but it’s still grid focus!

And thanks again for your great work!

13. Annie says:

Hi Derek-
    Again Thanks for your great work here. I have found the issue on the layout. The other outstanding issue I believe is a bug in WP, not with your theme. Your theme rocks.

Thanks-
    Annie

14. Hi Derek,

First of all “Grid Focus” is a killer WordPress template, I have been using it for my blog.

My “Browse by topic” link on Navigation strip is broken. I don’t get the sub-menu dropdown effect.

Can you tell me how to fix it?

Love your work.

Cheers,
    Sergio Montini

15. Annie says:

Hi Derek–

Again, I do love your work. It’s a totally awesome theme.
    Sergio’s comment/question is the same as mine. I have your template in use in 2 places. One it works, the other the navigation strip “browse by topic” doesn’t. the code appears to be exactly the same in both. They are both on the same server… very odd…. any insights?

Annie

16. Cristi says:

Hi! I am trying to use Focuse Grid for my website and I would like to do some changes. I have a problem in finding how to personalize the CSS for the widgets! Can you help? Thank you!

17. Kenold Beauplan says:

Hi . Great and clean theme.
    I was wondering if i modify the CSS to have the maincolumn in the middle, will something like that work?

Categories…..
    Main content…..
    Ad/blogroll…..

Thanks in advance

18. Kenold Beauplan says:

Hi . Great and clean theme.

<div id="secondarycolumn">Categories…..</div>