Grid Focus first WordPress.com theme release of 2009

Grid Focus on WordPress.comGrid Focus was announced as the first new theme release for WordPress.com in 2009 via Almost Productive. Self-hosted WordPress users can continue to download the theme for modification and use from the official Grid Focus page.

If you have always wanted to try WordPress, but shied away from the thought of setting up your own site, sign-up for your free WordPress.com blog.

This may seem like a small achievement, but I feel warm and fuzzy inside seeing that Grid Focus is available for WordPress.com users.

Expect to see continued Grid Focus development with theme admin options, and possible stylesheet updates for paid WordPress.com users who have access to CSS editing.

1. Very nice design. Clean and simple. Needed a change and it came at the right time: Jan. 20. How appropriate. 🙂

2. Luc P says:

At this moment, it doesn’t seem to be possible to change the blue square in the top right of the page when using your theme at wordpress.com. Do you think this will be possible in the future ?

3. pkc says:

Hi,

I’m having an issue with a widget and the sidebar. I have a bar graph widget and it is being cut off by the side bar and not displaying properly. Could you please visit my site and tell me where in the css do i need to fix this issue?

That widget you are using looks like it generates its own stylesheet. The widget of the horizontal bars is set to 100%. Because there is also a 1px border, the 100% is more like 102%. Override the CSS by adding something like the following at the end of style.css.

#goalgraph .goal { width: 99% !important; }

I am not at all familiar with that widget. If you can access the styles generated for the widget directly, change the 100% width to 99% rather than overriding it in the main stylesheet.

4. armrd says:

Hi there. May I know how to install a theme? Can you explain to me in detail?
    Thank you lots.

5. A2DP says:

hooked on grid

6. japrak says:

nice themes. 🙂

7. Jason says:

I am using your theme on my wodpress.com blog. However, my avatar does not show up in the upper right hand corner. A blue square shows in that spot instead. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

8. I love it and thank you. I have to go learn how to make a collage of pictures. Keep the good ideas for grid coming. It is so classy.

9. Guido says:

Hi Derek,
    first – this theme looks great, thanks a lot.
    But unfortunately i cannot use it actually. In FF single posts are not displayed as they should. Looks like a need to be closed.

Example:
    http://www.guido-block.com/ <– everything okay (yes- the content is too wide…)
    http://www.guido-block.com/2008/04/19-jonathan-b-johnson/ <– the footer messes up.

Did you ever had that kind of error?

Best regards from Germany,
    Guido

Your site looks like it is loading ok.

• Guido says:

Hi Derek,
      yes – figured it out in the meantime. I used a WP version automatically installed by my hosting company. There were a few changes in the settings etc.
      After i installed an original version by hand everythings works fine.
      Thanks again for that work, its a great theme.

Best Regards,
      Guido

• Soulculture says:

Hi Guido..
      Im having the same issue.
      how exactly did u solve your problem?

• Guido says:

i just installed original versions per hand from scratch on.
      The version that didnt work had an different config and used the german language. At least i think the language wasnt responsible for the glitch.

cu.guido

10. Ehab says:

Love the white floating bar on the bottom Derek !

11. Corinna says:

The Previous and Next buttons seem to have no effect on my site. I didn’t change these, so I’m not sure what’s wrong, but I noticed they do work on the Grid Focus demo site. Any thoughts what could be the problem?

12. Agitationist says:

Love love love this theme. I almost wonder if it should have more than one live demo, with different configurations, to show off what it can do?

13. Soulculture says:

Love this theme..
    I’m currently working on a web mag and im having problems with the footer using the grid-focus theme.
    It is in the right place when on the front page

but

if you go to the test page

the footer comes up and covers most of the screen.
    Any advice would be truly appreciated.

14. Kimberly says:

This theme is totally smokin’. I’m going to redesign my professional site to use it. But how do I change what’s in the gray bar? (Front page / Browse / Subscribe). I am using the web version of WordPress (have to b/c I have a PowerPC processor). Thanks!

• Kimberly says:

Hm… I see you responded to other folks’ questions. Does that mean that those buttons can’t be changed at all? Thanks!

Sorry, missed your comment. You have to change the buttons by hand. At this time those links are not generated. The files to edit are navigation.strip.php and footer.strip.php. I’m not sure what you mean by web version. Are you referring to WordPress.com?

• Kimberly says:

Yes. The WordPress software can’t be used on Macs with a PowerPC processor, so I’m stuck using WordPress.com. Is that a problem? I was hoping to use that gray bar for links to the main pages on my site (About, Contact, etc.)

I’m not sure how much of the theme WordPress.com gives access to when you go to edit your theme. Why does your computer type matter? Are you trying to host WordPress locally on your machine?

• Kimberly says:

Um, here’s where I show my ignorance. I have several WordPress blogs, all of which I manage from WordPress.com. I thought that to get into the uber-customization, you have to download the WordPress software. When I looked into it, it doesn’t work for a PowerPC processor machine.

I know this is kind of outside what you should help me with, but if there is a way for me to use the more customizable WordPress without using WordPress.com or downloading the program, I would definitely be interested. Is that what is necessary to change whats in the gray bar?

Yes if you want to change the grey bar, or do any other customizations, you’ll want to use a self hosted version of WordPress. The idea of downloading does not mean download it to your computer and use – unless you’re developing and running it for personal use.

WordPress.com offers a hosted solution of users that do not want to deal with paying a monthly on a personal hosting plan. The downside is that you’re limited to what you can do because WordPress.com limits access to the core theme files.

If you were on a self hosted install of WordPress, you would need to check out a hosting plan through a company like Media Temple, then install WordPress. Fortunately, hosting plans usually offer a "one-click" install option to get you up and running quickly.

• Kimberly says:

Interesting. I’m actually already paying for Godaddy hosting on the site, just not using it. So I’ll ask them about “installing WordPress.” Then I can fix my buttons! Thanks!

• Kimberly says:

Thanks for the help, Derek. I did what you said and rocked out my buttons and your theme. I have gotten a boatload of compliments on the theme (and my use, patting self on back). Thank you!!

Oh, I moved your credit to the contact page rather than the footer. Hope that’s okay!

15. Drix says:

Hi!

My host screwed up my files and I had to re-upload the whole thing. I had a backup of the database, but not the actual files, so I uploaded WP and the theme, but all my pages, pictures and so on are gone.

The pictures I can re-up, no problem, but is there a way to recreate the pages? Frontpage looks ok, but when clicking the posts the pages are gone..

Thanks in advance..
    Drix.

I thought you had a backup of your database? If you did, your pages and posts should still be intact once you restored. I don’t understand, where are you taken when you click a permalink? A blank page? Are the header and footer loading?

• Drix says:

I thought so too, but if you try clicking any of the permalinks you get nowhere, and none of the folders the permalinks points to are located on the server either.

You can try it on my site, it’s still up with the frontpage without the pictures. I can add the pictures again, but no idea how to recreate the lost pages. It should have all the content needed, so it should be possible.

Thanks for any helps or tips.

Try checking to see if your permalinks setups matches that which was setup before your host hosed your site.

• Drix says:

I only have the db and the newly uploaded wp files and theme, so i have no way to check if those folders were there before my host deleted them, but i would guess they were as the links used to work. Didn’t mod wp or your theme in any way, so maybe you know? I could try making a new post to see if new folders are made though.. will try that if that helps!

• Drix says:

I can make new posts, but still can’t click them, and new folders are not made on the server.. I’m confused.

I was referring to your permalink settings in WordPress admin options. It sounds like you need to consult with someone concerning the overall WordPress installation. Your issues fall outside the scope of the theme.

• Drix says:

That worked! Thank you sooo much, and sorry to spam you comment field. You saved my month! 🙂

16. Michael McWatters says:

I really love this theme. It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for.

I have one tiny nit: YouTube videos that are posted get clipped a bit on the right side. I’m going to modify the CSS a bit to fix it. Otherwise, hurrah!

17. mimi flynn says:

the problem with the footer taking over the posts page seems to be coming from the comments.php, although i can’t find where. i took the lines out of the single.php file that referred to comments, and everything shows up perfectly in safari and firefox (although i don’t know about IE since i don’t have a windows machine readily available). any ideas as to why the comments.php might have a problem?

• Soulculture says:

Thanks for pointing that out mimi..
      I’ve done the same thing and it seems to have stopped the footer problem.
      I would have loved to have comments on my page..
      but hopefully someone will come up with a solution to that.

Just an update. I’ve reserved some time this weekend to try and reproduce this issue locally to resolve. When a fix is found, the appropriate changes will be updated in the download and as a related page.

I’ve tried every possible scenario possible on a test server using the very latest download and have not been able to reproduce the bug. I also tested a handful of different default WordPress widget configurations with no ill effect either. My best recommendation at this point would be to download the theme and re-install. Those who are reporting issues may have grabbed an earlier release than what is available now.

Note that if you are seeing the grey footer bar cover content, add a clear:both to navStripWrapper in the stylesheet.

• Soulculture says:

Morning Derek…
      Where in the stylesheet exactly do you insert the code?

• Scott D says:

Adding clear:both; to .navStripWrapper in style.css seems to have solved the footer problem. I was seeing it in Chrome, and IE8 didn’t like it either. I even saw it render badly in Firefox, but it was intermittent. Weird.

The next major update should be [hopefully] resolve any of these issues. I’m working on it, it should be a good one 🙂

18. Julia says:

Hey there – great theme! I installed it normally on a new wordpress blog I’m starting (I’m so glad I remembered your theme because it fits perfectly! ^^)
    But I seem to have only problems with it! 🙁
    First, it won’t let me unpack the zip file properly, because of the files without endings like “grid_focus”. (Is this maybe Vista’s fault? It usually is ever since I bought it.) Then, after I tricked the whole thing and believed I had extracted all the files I uploaded them. But when I activated the theme, it looked very different from the demo above, and it tells me it’s not widget ready! What did I do wrong? 🙁
    Thanks, Julia

19. Hrafn Th. says:

Congratulations Derek! Grid Focus deserves it; using it has been smooth sailing.

20. Kelsey says:

I am using your template on my self-hosted blog, and for the life of me, I cannot get the second sidebar to show up. What is going on?

Are you certain that you selected the shared sidebar > show, selected your widgets > save?

• Kelsey says:

I’ve tried adding widgets to all three, and the only sidebar I can get to show up is the index one.

Where is the “show” option? I feel like I’m somehow missing some options on this.

When you load up your widgets, are they showing up in the columns that you expect them to? I checked your site and you have a nice collection of widgets in the 1st column. Are all of those supposed to be in the 1st column? I also checked your post page and noticed that the 1st column is being loaded but not closed – widgets not rendering – looks like you might be using some widgets that may not be closing properly?

• Kelsey says:

I just made some changes, and now the secondary bar is showing, but it is showing as *under* the primary bar. The only two widgets that should be on the left are pages and links. The other stuff (weather and below) should be on the right.

So, is it not possible to have two sidebars on all views?