Looking for Google Voice? Voice invites inside

Google-VoiceI managed to get my hands on a GrandCentral phone number before the service was acquired by Google in 2007. Armed with a truly mobile "mobile" virtual number, I’ve managed to maintain better control and organization of my personal and non-personal phone calls – almost granular depending on who may be calling.

Although I have not yet made use of the option to ring multiple lines – home, work, or cellphone – with an incoming Google Voice call, I have made use of some of the other useful features. Features like voicemail transcription & delivery via email (bonus option to listen to VM attachments) or SMS, customized voicemail groups, and smart screening are all features a typical wireless carrier would enjoy seeing you dream about.

As I continued using the service, I’ve realized that Google has truly changed my view of the phone number. There was a period when I considered changing my voicemail greeting to instruct callers to email instead of leaving a message.

Has your view of the boring "old school" phone number changed after reviewing what Google Voice offers?

Naturally, privacy nuts will challenge the security and safety of personal privacy by entrusting Google with yet another data rich form of communication. What are you thoughts? Personally, I’ve warmed up quite a bit to the Google suite of services.

Two Google Voice invites up for grabs

Most of my contacts are using Google Voice already which leaves me with extra invites to share with readers. To claim one of the two invites, simply post a comment below. Bonus points for sharing how you think Google Voice will help you. Winners will be selected on Wednesday Nov. 4th.

Update: Invites passed out to two lucky readers. Hopefully the emails used in the comments were legit. Check your inboxes for a confirmation people.

1. Matt says:

I’d love a google voice invite as I am going to be living in another country on a design internship and I’d love to keep in touch a little easier with parents, friends, and family.

Not an interesting reason really but an honest one.

2. I really can’t wait for this to be released to the public. There is a lot of good that can come from something like this.

3. Ascanio says:

Here I am! Am I still in time to get one of those?

4. Dave says:

I already have Google Voice. For me it is handy so call Canada without paying long distance and I can text too from web or mobile web.
    Matt: you wont be able to call family, etc from another country but you could get Google Voice so they can call you cheaply.
    I think the main benefit of google voice will be that you can have one number, screen calls, get email notification and get your voicemail online. I have removed my mobile number from sites and replaced with my gv #.

5. Amy says:

A friend told me about Google Voice about a month ago and I signed up to get in line for an invite. My friend got his a week ago but still nothing for me just yet. I want to check it out though and see the details! I’m hungry to integrate phone/text/email the way GV promises to.

6. Shaun says:

I live in China…from time to time skype is blocked (not to mention facebook, twitter, wikipedia, blogger, youtube etc.). I work with students around college admissions and a google voice account would come super handy in my work.

Thanks for the generous competition.

7. Rachel says:

Hi,

I would love to try Google Voice and see how it works. I have family in France, Korea and China, and a brother who will be in Afghanistan soon, so I am looking for a more affordable way to call overseas.

Thanks for the great information!

8. Lance says:

It will definitely become handy for my business. 🙂

9. Matt says:

This would really be a cool thing as I still live at home but take calls for business etc.

I’m also really intrigued by the features as I don’t quite understand it all yet!

10. Srk says:

Hi I do not know what I should mention because there are lots of different comments for the invite but all I can say that I deserve it 🙂 and it will be a great help which will be highly appreciated.

will be waiting for the invite …

Thanks in advance 🙂

Regards,
    …sRk…

11. Allie says:

hey,

If you send me a Google Voice Invite I will send you a Google Wave Invite!
    I have 5 left!!

Thanks!!

12. Eyal Frishman says:

Would love a Google Voice invite :)…

13. Rick says:

Don’t forget me either! I have a google wave or demonoid invite once it is back You can contact me on ebay if you like. My username is rickytheracer.

14. mike says:

can someone give me a google voice invite please my email is mtg033@gmail.com thank you

15. Randy says:

I would love to get a GV invite as well….thank you…

rrick1967@yahoo.com

16. Anyone willing to send a google voice invite I would very much appreciate it
    surfmist90@aol.com

17. Beau says:

Willing to trade a google wave invite for a google voice invite!!!!…beau.atchley@gmail.com

18. D Low says:

Would love to get an invite email dlow2999@gmail.com

Will give invite for google wave if wanted

Thanks

19. Flip says:

Hello, can someone give me a google voice invite please?
    my email is fcornelisse@gmail.com
    thank you very much.

20. Christine says:

If anyone has any Voice invites to spare I’d really appreciate one!!! I would love to try voice and if I get any invites I’ll be sure to share as well. Pretty please with sugar on top? :3 ContactChristineHere[at]gmail[dot]com