Sylviaaaaa has a new site to play with – sylvialoh.com

SylviaLoh.com

Taking a moment out of this years Chinese New Year, I’d like to announce a quick project created over the weekend – sylvialoh.com.

For longer than I can remember, I urged Syl to leave behind her Xanga roots pressing her to see the light of WordPress. Fortunately, I have finally managed to get her blogging on WordPress.

To be honest, I probably could have converted her much sooner had I had time to create a site that she would find appealing. Now to teach her what the quicktags do and proper formatting for post / images. I’m dreading having to teach her about comment & trackback spam. I’ll worry about that after I push her to get more content up.

1. Glenn Wolsey says:

Wow! That’s a weekend’s work? I love the design Derek, the purple looks really good with the black.

Just curious, where did you learn to design, and what are some resources you would recommend for someone wanting to start with web/blog design?

2. That my friend is a beautiful website.

3. AK says:

That is pretty damn sweet for a weekend. I’m jealous.

4. Andre says:

That’s pretty kickass. The only thing I don’t like about it is that I can’t find the blog posts (or tell them apart from other things maybe?). But that’s probably just me. :P

5. Yeah, I am trying to convince a MSN Spaces user that I know and love to begin using WordPress. And a friend of mine who uses MySpace blogs.

[quote comment=”43746″]Just curious, where did you learn to design, and what are some resources you
    would recommend for someone wanting to start with web/blog design?[/quote]

Experimentation and trial & error are the tricks of the trade. I’ve read one HTML / CSS book. I think books are great for sitting on the throne. However, nothing compares to actually trying someone using a plain text editor & a browser.

I’m kind of kicking myself because my own site hasn’t been updated in quite some time.

7. Phil Bowell says:

That is very, very, very nice! I’m amazed at how you continually astound me with each design you reveal!

8. Andy says:

Absolutely beautiful design Derek. The graphic design is so effective and, as always, your colours are perfect.

9. That tree looks fantastically surreal. Great work.

You know, experimenting is a great way to learn. Learning by doing. I usually feel, though, that an application like Photoshop has so much more to offer than what I know from online guides and my own fiddling, that I am enticed to buy a book.

A few people ;)

I used trees on Derek Punsalan…is. Looks like hicksdesign journal also has some trees.. A trend I’m sure.

True that. Trees and squares or triangles just don’t work as well :p Trust me. I tried.

12. Devin says:

So how many people have told you it looks kinda like Bryan’s site? ;)

13. Devin says:

Trees and circles are always in, I suppose. ;)

Someone commented on how it’s unfortunate that only users with Helvetica Neue / Neue Light installed will see the sharper type used in the stylesheet. Reminds me of how unfortunate it is when fonts aren’t more widely accepted and available.

Is Sandbox that stripped down default WordPress theme? I usually start with a generic structure that I’ve created. When I want to start afresh, I simply duplicate the folder, change the stylesheet title, etc and go from there. I have most of the important WP bits memorized so not much to work off of from there.

16. Taylor says:

Very nice. You deffinitely have your own style.
    Always creative and always slick.
    What do you use as a starting point for WP template? The Sandbox theme?

17. Taylor says:

Yeah. Sandbox is a CSS-less (for the most part) skeleton of a theme. I have found it useful…
    It sounds like you have your system down though.
    Good work.

18. “Now to teach her what the quicktags do and proper formatting for post / images.”

Add me to that list

19. Margarida says:

I would like to congratulate you cause I really loved the design :D so simple but so lovely

20. insanekiwi says:

wow nice work derek!

where do u get all those vectors from?

Also hoping you realease a new web2.0ish theme sooon :)