Special – Pink for October

pink special 5thirtyone.com

Having previously announced my intent to celebrate National Breast Cancer Awareness month, 5ThirtyOne is wearing a new coat with a touch of pink. Although I may not have been as adventerous with the color in comparison to fellow Pink for October participants, I hope that my intentions will speak for themselves.

During the month of October, 50% of all freelance revenue & 100% of Adsense revenue will be donated to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. If you would prefer to donate directly, continue reading for more details or alternative methods in assisting in the education and prevention of breast cancer.

Excuse the mess while the back-end of the site is optimized for speed. I have come to the realization that trashing unnecessary server calls will do more good than bad. Feel free to leave any comments concerning details that I may have overlooked; bugs, browser issues, or mis-linked pages. I have yet to find the time to spend ample time with Internet Explorer. Does anyone really care? As far as I know, things should be as they should be in Safari 2.0.4 and Firefox 1.5 / 2.0. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

Two of the most noticeable and time consuming change will be the decision to move any portfolio elements to derekpunsalan.com, and the decision to drop Ultimate Tag Warrior. Although I have enjoyed utilizing 5thirtyone.com as an online home for both personal writing and visual elements, a distinct separation of the two is in order.

1. Phil Bowell says:

You continue to astound me. Another beautiful design appears. Will 5thirtyone continue to wear this coat after October? Also interested to know why you dropped UTW?

The main issue concerning UTW was the affect the plugin had while loading pages. I am trying to eliminate any unnecessary calls to the database. Gravatars have also been removed for the time being.

3. Adam Spooner says:

Derek, the new coat looks great! I love the attention to detail and how it’s spread throughout the page! Kudos on the efforts involved in helping spread the word and the donations given to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Cheers!

4. ~TheAngel~ says:

Hey, nice one 🙂

5. Phu says:

Nice work Derek, both with regards to the design and the support for this year’s NBCAM.

6. […] According to Matthew, the participants list grows by the hour. I can’t imagine the turn-out by months end. Feel free to check out 5thirtyone’s official pink announcement or head straight to Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. Participate if you have the time. If you happen to be a *cough* MySpace user, check out the pink version of the minimal overlay distribution. […]

7. Bill says:

Nice looking site.

8. Devin says:

Looks great Derek. Very generous contributions, indeed.

9. Raz88 says:

Well, I hope you have good luck with Pink For October considering this is post number 666 in the archives.

-Raz88

o_O why did I just notice that? It’s a good thing I don’t believe in that type of stuff.

11. CK says:

Holy-moly this new design is amazing; love at first site.

I’m so envious of sites that include their content in fat footers. Plus, you don’t use and flash graphics, it’s just simple, plain, and ease to use. My only qualm is some of the links blending too eaisly with the Google Ads.

I’m desperate to have a fat footer but i’m having no end of trouble implementing Unsleepable’s into the three-column format. *shakes fist at lack of coding know-how*. 9Rules will be the end of me.

12. Pretty good Derek 🙂 Great post as usually and clear simply design with high level of usability. What could be better? Only another one but from you 🙂

13. Richard says:

14. CK says:

Ditto on that question.

[quote comment=”8401″]Very clean, very functional, very attractive. What’s not to love? Out of curiosity, are you planning on making this theme available for others to build from, possibly after you’ve moved on?[/quote]

The theme will make its way to public release once I decide on an appropriate distribution method which coincides with the spirit of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

16. Richard says:

17. CK says:

[quote comment=”8441″]Very cool. Donationware perhaps? I’m always (well, generally) happy to donate in someone’s name for a good cause…[/quote]

I’d certainly pay.

[quote comment=”8488″]I’d certainly pay.[/quote]

Well keep your eyes peeled via RSS for an announcement on the release – most likely through a donation system.

19. Christina says:

Hi, Derek! I’ve been using your Pink October theme and must say two things first off: I love it and thanks for sharing!

I’ve spent a few days trying to tweak it with the Quoter plugin, etc. My only problem is that I can’t get my author_highlight to do the little background (or to highlight in any way whatsoever) like you have. I’ve noticed that the CSS for it is already in the stylesheet. Am I just missing something that should be totally obvious?

Definitely something for the superstitious types to cringe at I guess.