Official 5ThirtyOne 2006 CSS Reboot!

2006 Reboot

This is it. The official 5ThirtyOne 2006 CSS Reboot submission. I know I mentioned on numerous ocassions that my reboot had begun a few weeks back, but I couldn’t resist. After seeing great inspiration from the likes of Phu Ly [If..Else Log] and Jonathan Snook [Snook.ca], I had to get under the hood of 5ThirtyOne v2.0 to gut what little I was pleased with.

To be honest, other than the comment styling and color scheme, there is nothing else that was carried over from v2. I couldn’t justify running a reboot submission with old code. I started this reboot version at 12AM last night (Apr 30th) giving me approximately 24 hours to complete my submission. After falling asleep around 2AM, I woke around 10AM to continue my “realignment”. This was probably my quickest WordPress template to code from the ground up. Granted, there are a few minor details that that I have not yet implemented. Namely the top navbar (look below), a 404, and a portfolio page.

2006 Reboot

• According to Mint, 800×600 screens account for approximately 5% of readership. Therefor, I felt that bumping up the page width to 960px wouldn’t hurt.
  • There was a significant amount of chatter that the previous layout forced readers to hunt for information. For that reason, I’ve disposed of the “hide n’ seek” elements and replaced them with clearly defined content options. Looking for recent posts and quicklinks? Check the bottom content area.
  • Implemented a sidebar which highlights both private and public projects complete with thumbnails. Image rollovers take care of the onhover arrows.
  • Take note of the sidebar links which will feature content depending on your currently viewed page. The global link list that will be visible globally is the Popular Mint’s which displays the “best of” links from the entire site.
  • I’ve added a new option as far keeping updated with content. If you look towards the bottom of the page you’ll notice a Feedburner powered (content only) email option. Try it.

As you can tell the layout is essentially image free [not counting the few mini icons I whipped up in Photoshop]. There are a few areas that I would like to “fill” with subtle graphics to tighten up some of the whitespace. I’m sure the bug hunting will commence soon after I post this so feel free to drop any feedback in the comments. Explore, test, and poke fun at. If you’ve got a little time, drop by my CSS Reboot page and drop your thoughts. 5ThirtyOne is one of the thumbs on the CSS Reboot front page. Vote like it’s hot!

Damn. After seeing some of the other entrants, I’m amazed and already wanting something new. How sad.

1. Phu says:

Nice work Derek particularly with the footer. Oh, and thanks for the link love:)

2. Awesome job on the site. The colors are awesome, and the layout even better!

3. Very slick Derek, I like it. As Phu said, the footer is fly.

4. Jay says:

Just like anything else shiny and new, I want one too!

GREAT work, absolutely delightful design!! Now… let’s see if you can pass the 2-3 week mark before yet another redesign! 😛

5. Kristin says:

Looks great derek. I love the way you always lay out everything a little bit different than the “typical” way everyone else does. Especiallyour comments. They always have a unique look.

6. Martina says:

Just when I think “what could he possibly do to top that?” you come up with a better design. Clean, unique, functional. Great work!

I am with Jay, I want one too!

7. tom says:

you made me speachless this moment, its great, its better then everythings before, i like it. what will happen here in a few weeks?

lets find it out, greats from the sunny austria

Thanks for the comments everyone 😉

What’s to happen in a few weeks? Have you guys no faith in me?! No faith that I’ll stick with a single theme? Much of this change was brought about because of readers. I admi that v2 was a but of a hassle to find content. Many of the bits of “eyecandy” I managed to entertain myself with actually hampered a users ability to do what they came to the blog to do… read. It was a hard decision, but deciding to leave as much of the eyecandy behind as possible has actually improved my own ability to present content in a mroe friendly manner.

I’m really going to try and keep this up and running for a bit. Other bloggers – like Bryan of Avalonstar – managed to keep their layouts for 293 days! I want to do that 😉

9. Mik says:

Hi,
    I’m agree with all other commenters, it’a fantastic. colors especially in my opinion.
    Only you should have to fix the 800×600 screen resolution on firefox there is a grey backgroun of the sidebar not centered.
    In my opinion if you center the content div at 800×600 (hiding the sidebar) is better.

My 2p

10. Jon-Michael says:

Wow! This is an amazing design with plenty of whitespace. Everything is aligned and colored so carefully, it makes reading a simple task. The only improvement I’d like to see is on the “submit” button — where’s the style?! 🙂

11. Anshul says:

Wonderful design derek. 5thirtyone never ceases to amaze me.

12. Brett says:

Dude, once again you have amazed me. I liked the colors of v2 as well so I am glad you kept them. The new design/layout does make for easier reading and finding of old posts. Good Job!!!!

[quote comment=”1208″]fix the 800×600 screen resolution on firefox there is a grey backgroun of the sidebar not centered.[/quote]

All fixed. I think the “oh just leave it alone” guy inside of me kept saying that I was seeing things in Firefox. I figured if it wasn’t showing up in IE or Safari on browser shots, it wasn’t really there… I guess I was wrong. Either way, no more gray bar.

14. Mik says:

Lol 🙂
    anyway I think is a wonderfull layout, I’d like to arrive near your design result in my reboot.

15. Great Job Derek! I can’t wait to see what you’ll have in store for us next week haha =)

16. Tom S. Weber says:

Wow..! I like it!

17. Just a Memo says:

CSS Reboot Spring 2006 Slowly But Surely…

Despite the slow start and server issues that Adam had to deal with over at CSSReboot.com, the Spring 2006 CSS Reboot has finally commenced! Things are finally looking on the up-and-up with about 1470 Rebooters pushing the button to show the world thei…

18. AsceticMonk says:

The new theme is lovely, great job once again Derek! Most importantly, now everything is easier to find.

19. forgetfoo says:

hot damn, man… luv the “wide” design and how all the info is organized — very slick, amigo 😉

*big thumbs up*