Audi S6 LED install for Volkswagen MkV R32

Shadowed

I admit that when I first began this project, I had the utmost confidence that I would complete the installation in 5 hours or less. With help from Kevin, I was sure that I could prune that time down to 3 hours or less. I was wrong. Overconfidence can be very misleading. The plan? Take one set of original equipment (OE) Audi S6 LEDs and install them on a MkV Volkswagen R32.

Get the supplies, hardware, and tools

Supplies

Requirements (or highly recommended items): OE Audi S6 driving lights acquired direct through Audi or online, Audi S6 LED harness, jack + suitable jack-stand(s), electrical connectors + tools, electrical tape, thin metal strips for custom brackets + hardware, Dremel + cutting tools, hex and torx bit set(s), and a second set of hands.

3 lines

Front & lower grill removal

Lower grill screws

Start with the two lower grills. Mark the bottom edge of the last horizontal grill on each side. This will be the highest that you are allowed to cut (for bottom placement). Both are secured with two philips screws closest to the aluminum center grill. Once these are removed apply pressure near the top of the grill to unclip then pull straight out.

Grill delete

The center aluminum pieces slides off just as easy assuming you remove two screws from the top under the hood, two behind your license plate frame (towards the outer edges), and two (on each side) which are exposed once the lower grill pieces are removed.

Washer cover removal

Before moving on to the bumper delete, you’ll want to disconnect the headlight washers from the bumper cover pieces. Do this by prying the bottom edges up to slip your fingers underneath. The washers slide out at ~45 degree angle. Unclip the covers and lay them to the side.

Washer cover removed

Bumper removal

Now comes everyones favorite part locating all the necessary screws to loosen and put aside. Start underneath the front of the vehicle and locate the two screws in directly underneath the middle of the bumper. Follow that with three screws on the underside (left & right). Then, remove three screws from the front edges of the wheel wells. The final two screws are at the top of the bumper piece behind where the aluminum grill used to be. With a second set of hands, the bumper will now slide straight off.

Detach washer from bumper

Before excitedly removing the bumper completely, unclip and unscrew the headlight washers from the bumper. You’ll notice that a single hose feeds both washers [which is also secured in place with metal clips.

R32 bumper delete

With the front bumper removed, you’ll have one naked looking MkV R32.

Bumper trim + brackets

This next step requires a little more trial and error. Because the S6 LEDs are not a direct drop in solution for any Volkswagen, the process of fitting requires patience and small passes with a Dremel cutting disk. The process was tedious – a combination of cut and test fit, cut and test fit. Using the last horizontal edge of the lower grills as guides, I marked the lowers with a pen to give me a rough idea of where to cut.

Dotted guide

And it begins

Corner trim

Grill test

Rear LED brackets

Once both sides had been trimmed down enough to fit the LEDs, Kevin cut and bent a set of brackets to secure the lights to the bumper.

Electrical, wire as fogs or tap sidemarkers

Wiring test

Because I had already deleted my North American sidemarkers, I had a set of previously used harnesses to tap for power. Unfortunately, because the LEDs were not plug ‘n play, I simply snipped the sidemarker harness and reconnected with to the OE Audi S6 harnesses. Remember, brown is ground.

Some individuals might decide to run the Audi harness directly to the fuse box and reprogram their light switch in order for the LEDs to act as fogs, I chose to reuse the sidemarker wires allowing me to run the lights full time or as parking lights.

Final results

Final prep test

S6 LEDs installed

With the lights properly tested and wiring secured, it was time to re-assemble the front end of the vehicle. The end result was well worth the frustration and sore finger tips. I imagine the total cost had I commissioned a body shop to install the lights would have been in excess of $400.

Thanks Kevin for providing the second set of hands to tear everything apart and for the metal brackets. Also, thank you Syl for driving over to drop off the electrical tape! I don’t know how I managed to forget that.

1. dan wiederkehr says:

I’ve just purchased a set of these for my Rabbit. appear tha they are the same size opening as my front bumper rub strips. my question is, why 3 wires, two hots? one ground, did you attach both hots to one supply wire? thanks

can this be done to the city lights so there connected to the parking lights within the headlights?

I am sure it is possible if you splice in and run the wires down from the headlight assembly. I’d double-check the voltage for the running lights under the headlights though.

need your help tho. I have the wiring harness but I have no clue what goes where. I want to wire them up as fog lights.

I would check out a MkV GTI that has the OE foglights installed and check where the wires run to for power.

did you attach both hots to one supply wire? thanks

I actually cut the included wires roughly 12 inches down from the harness on both sides so that I could just go ahead and wire them to the sidemarkers. If you cut the black wrap around the wires you’ll see that the two positive wires simply splice into one another one both sides.

3. OB says:

Brilliant job!!!. I’m working a similar project but my car is an old model 98, everything is going fine except the connections. I was trying to connect the led wire to lead from the park light, of course it doesn’t work. Do you have any suggests?

Again nice job.

Is everything grounded properly?

5. marzbite says:

your .:R looks great, I have a R32 MKV UG, no mods @ the moment, planning to add the S6 leds like you did and perhaps new rims, is there any way to get the setup integrated in the panel next to the ESP switch?

see link @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j5T3p8yyvw&feature=related

in the video apparently you have 2 modes:

1. Pace car style (blinking left then right and so on)

2. ON all the time

peace

m

6. Ionut Popa says:

offtopic: what camera did you use to take the pictures?

offtopic: what camera did you use to take the pictures?

Nikon D80 w/ a Sigma 18-200 lens.

8. Trevor says:

Hey Dude,

I am sonsidering doing what you have done to your r32 to my 1.4 golf sporline, can these lights be fitted to the front bumper of my car?

I look forward to your response.

Thanks
    Trev

Judging by the size of the lower grill openings, you would need to install the LEDs towards the top. It wouldn’t be such a bad idea because you could probably get away with trimming just the lower grills, and not your actual bumper.

10. mark says:

Hi Derek please tell me where i can get those s6 leds..wow look amazing!! thanks ,mark :)

11. Alberto says:

Hey, nice job! Thanks for disinteresting me in the project, I’m just not gonna mess with that, I have very little patience for that and I will just mess up my grill and bumper. Gotta give it to ya, you have patience.

12. mkvtodvd says:

Oh, really a cool car. I like Audi cars ;)

13. It’s official you have just placed yourself WAY UP on my fan and appreciation scale.
    Why? Well amongst my other passions life, love,music, design,functionality and that sort of thing is my passion for VDubbs beautiful car by the way! Mine is older 98 jettaglxvr6 but has become an extension of me as vw’s often do. Very nice mod and article.

cheers,

Robert “Butch” Greenawalt
    MRHYPERPCS

14. Philly Phil says:

hey, I see this topic is kinda of old but i had a question i hope someone can answer. It was posed earlier. There are 3 prongs on the LED’s. I don’t have wiring kit. Now i’ve attempted every possible connection with a + and – wire.
    Nothing has worked.
    So as someone mentioned before, are there two hot wires, or two cold wires? and if so which are which?

In the picture [above] of the Audi harness the two red w/ white stripe wires are hot. Brown is cold. The two reds meet a little farther up the harness and turn into one. Hope that helps.

15. Eduardo says:

Hey where did you buy the materials from (led’s and switches)? i have a friend that wants to do it on her mk5 jetta. email me at evaldes04@yahoo.com

16. mitch says:

I ordered the S6 led light kit and it came with just the connector and pigtails not the OEM connectors. The wires are all yellow. Which wires go where? Do you have a wiring diagram showing what wires on the connector (1,2, or 3) go to the ground wire? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

17. mitch says:

Here’s the link to pics of the pigtail harness on the ecstuning site:

It doesn’t look like any of those three wires combine into one. I’d have to pull my lights back out to test in order to give you an accurate wire diagram.

18. mitch says:

I believe two of them combine into one.

19. mitch says:

Okay, now I need to find out which are the two that combine and which one is left by itself.

20. Kai says:

Hi there, great job, it works awesome. I am going to try this on my MKV. please email me where you get the parts you needed like LEDs, Connectors chris_shaok@hotmail.com, Thanks

K