April Fools’ Day, I’m 24, who’s playing pranks?

UPDATE: I spoiled Syl’s surprise… Ergh, her April Fools’ Day joke. It would have been amusing to see her drop such a question in front of the family – timing would have been everything and I definitely would have played along.

Candles & cupcakes

After looking at the celebratory "cakes", I’m sure the immediate reaction is to think "What a little kid". If only turning 24 could really be translated to make that assumption true. Thank you Syl for the heavy cupcakes.

Today is April Fools´ Day. I turn 24, 5thirtyone.com receives another re-alignment (it’s been waiting for today), the world plays pranks on one another, and bloggers throughout the blogosphere will pretend that today, they are all comedians.

April Fools´ Day or All Fools´ Day, though not a holiday in its own right, is a notable day celebrated in many countries on April 1. The day is marked by the commission of hoaxes and other practical jokes of varying sophistication on friends and neighbors, or sending them on fools´ errands, the aim of which is to embarrass the gullible. In some countries, April Fools’ jokes (also called “April Fools”) are only made before noon on April 1st.[1] It is also widely celebrated on the Internet.

I remember one year my teammates decided it would be entertaining to swap my clothes for a dress. They all insisted that the only way I would get my clothes back was to wear the dress out. My memory is actually a bit fuzzy andy I can’t remember what I actually did to get everything back.

Anyhow, it’s April Fools´ Day. Go out and embarrass your friends or share one of your own embarrassing moments.

1. Andre says:

Happy birthday!

2. Glenn Wolsey says:

Wow, and I thought the old design looked amazing. Great work Derek, and happy birthday!

3. Eli says:

Happy Birthday, Derek!

The realignment is beautiful – I like the added category snippets.

4. zzap says:

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to Derek, happy birthday to you.
    Awesome design, and I thought it couldn’t get much better!

5. kus says:

happy birthday, and wow .. its new design that can be ripped by anyone else ?

LOL just joke

6. Ian Halliday says:

Happy Birthday Derek, have a great day!

Another re-alignment already? Good work! I wasn’t sure at first, as I felt it was a bit harder to get an immediate grip of things, but as soon as I got a feel for the new layout I felt at home. I love the fact that you now get a run-down of your most recent posts under each major category at all times.

Top work!

7. Happy Birthday, Derek! Hope you have a great day.

8. Shawn Blanc says:

Happy Birthday, Derek. Are you doing any April Fool’s jokes?

9. Sam says:

Happy Birthday Derek!
    I fell for Google’s gmail paper service earlier, when I saw Yohanne’s twitter about it I started looking in my gmail inbox for the darn button “Archive to paper” 😛

Nice realignment by the way!

10. I already sent you an email, but it bears repeating: Happy Birthday!!!! I’m pretty sure that Sylvia’s got something special planned for you so make sure you take plenty of pics and post ’em to Flickr, lol!!!

Oh yeah, nice re-alignment, again!!!!

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone. And Cesar, any better with the changes (diagonal background images removed)? I can understand if the diagonal lines looked overwhelming. I didn’t check the site with any other LCD than my own until I read your comment.

12. Cesar says:

Great realignment. Totally rocks. Small little suggestion add some color to the Title bars it hurts my eyes to see the diagonal strips.

13. Congrats on turning 24 and another awesome “re-alignment” Derek! I hope you’re birthday is filled with good times and great company. 😀

14. tom says:

hi derek, happy birthday wishes from austira, have a nice day and congratulations to your redesign of the redesign 🙂

15. Congrats on the re-alignment and birthday Derek. May your CSS be ultra clean this year.

16. Jay says:

As always, a great design. And happy birthday, may it be a kick-ass one.

April Fools´ Day indeed… How amusing it would be to play your joke.

18. syl says:

Happy Birthday! 😉
    See you in a bit.

April, Thanks 😉 I am definitely aware of your CSS handy work with the Cherry Blossom Hemingway theme. Great job, I see that theme on quite a few blogs while aimlessly browsing the net. I noticed you’re running Tumblr which looks to be pointing to a WordPress.com powered blog. Someone is going to have to explain the need for this extra "blog layer" some time.