Unstandard Theme, WordPress 3.0+ ready

Finally. Neglected but not forgotten, the Unstandard WordPress theme update is available for download. The jump from version 1.2.1 to 2.0 includes a complete re-write and supports post thumbnails (no more fiddling with custom fields), custom backgrounds and nested menus. The design has been modified slightly but still includes multiple color options as child themes (which should make it easier for everyone to customize their own flavors). Enjoy!

1. Marleen says:

Hi Derek,

Thanks so much for the wonderful theme! I’m loving ‘Unstandard’ and hope to use it for my portfolio. I’d set a Featured image as the portfolio image and the description of the project as the post text. For this I’d love to use the main index page template, because the layout makes for a great portfolio, but:

I need several (3) of such pages; one for individuals, one for businesses and one as a blog portal. I could just use 3 categories to distinguish between them, but how do I then set a page to follow the main index template for that category page? (Since I don’t see that particular template in the template drop-down menu when I create a page)

Thanks so much for your help! Hope you can help me out 🙂

Mln

You could setup specific pages for each, duplicate the main loop but query just the category (individuals, business and blog).

query_posts("cat=3")

2. Suman Majumder says:

how can i active the pagination in the front page for the images????

Pagination is enabled by default. The links appear depending on the number of posts you have set to display (see settings > reading) in WordPress.

3. DjMgyx says:

Nice update, love it so far kinda…I’ve been using the old version for some time, and like the sleeker look to this new version. However the featured image is not pulling the images the same was as using the older lead image way. My images are all 500*200, and the new featured image doesn’t auto fit the graphics to fit the box and leaves a gap along the right side now. Is there anyway have the featured image correct this or use the old lead image way, so images fit the entire preview box.

Sorry, the updated version was a re-write and does not use the custom fields for images. I haven’t had a chance to provide support for migrating the old method of setting images to the new.

4. Sheila says:

Hi Derek, I downloaded Unstandard 2.02 to see if it will work for my coloring pages site. I’m testing it now, and I don’t understand how to configure it like the demo site. I hope you can answer my questions.

1) How can I change the Title on my webpage from “Unstandard” to something else?

2) I’d like to have Menus for Home, About, Archives +, and Format + at the top of the page just like the Demo site has, but when I go to the Menus area under Theme Locations it says “Your theme supports 1 menu. Select which menu you would like to use.” How can I get all the menus up there?

Thanks for your help!

-Sheila

5. First of all Thank you for the most suited wp theme I’ve come across.

I just wanted to know how do I set a page to be displayed in full width without the right sidebar.

Also… The background color doesn’t seem to work when I activate it… but it doesn’t bother me.

Best wishes

6. ZY says:

Thank you to share!

7. April says:

How do I change the number of small thumbnails on the homepage? I need just six, and seven are displaying.

Thank you!

Go into your wp-admin and adjust the number of posts in Settings > Reading > Blog pages show at most:. You probably have yours set to 8.

8. April says:

Worked! Thanks!

9. josh says:

Hey Derek, I have the latest version of the Unstandard theme (the one that supports post humbnails)

I have pictures and pictures in each of the posts, but yet there is no post thumbnails.

10. MrK says:

Derek your theme is really great (tweaked a little for my needs)!!
    Just for curiosity did you use a font to create the “unstandard” header image?

Thanks again for sharing your work!

11. james says:

Great Theme! I hope you will keep working on this theme!

I have turned off commenting on my website, each tile has the number zero on the post, is there a way to remove the numbers of comments all together?

@PWN had the idea for the quick and easy method. Open style.css and look for .comment-count {}. Find display: block; within and change to display: none;..

12. PWN says:

Depnds if you are comfortable doing some php, otherwise you can just remove it from the presentation-layer:

style.css, line 389 downwards, in class .comment-count

set fontsize to 0px
    comment out background: black

Think that way of doing it should keep the layout in all browsers (best to test it though).

13. Emre Can Ayd?n says:

Hey Derek how are you?

I’ve a question about thumbnails.

I don’t want primary post box, for this I changed something, but I couldn’t again.

<div id="post-” class=”ID) ) ? ‘primary-post grid-8 alpha omega thumb-post’ : ‘secondary-post grid-4 alpha omega thumb-post’; ?>”>

instead of

<div id="post-” class=”secondary-post grid-4 alpha omega thumb-post”>

But, this time little boxes stucks each other.

14. Brian says:

Hi Derek. This theme is really clean, and perfect for a client of mine. Thanks very much for your hard work on it. One question, I’ve done a lot of customizing to various parts of the theme, but the one thing I’m stumped on is how to define the thumbnails for each post. They are not displaying on category pages, the home page, etc. The large Featured images display fine on the post pages, but the thumbnail areas on the other pages appear as a light grey box, with the titles at the bottom.

Any chance you could explain what I am missing?

Also, can you send me a link so I can donate to you, thus buying you a coffee? Thanks again.for a great looking theme.

I think there was some instructions confusion on how to assign an image. The theme uses the ‘Featured Image’ function baked into WordPress. In order to assign an image, use the ‘Featured Image’ meta box in the bottom right corner of the editor page. After you’ve saved your posts is there an image thumbnail in the right sidebar of the editor page?

• Brian says:

Yep, I used the ‘Featured Image’ meta box to assign featured images to my posts. However, after I’ve saved my posts, when I return to edit them there IS NOT an image thumbnail in the right sidebar of the post editor page. Sorry to bug you about it, but I’m stumped. Here’s what my output looks like:

Thoughts?

• Brian says:

Derek,

Forgive me. I just noticed that I was missing a step in the image uploader process. I had been hitting the “Insert into Post” button and completely disregarding the “Set as Featured Image” option.

You may want to consider some simple documentation. It would probably clear up any confusion about more detailed processes that your readme.txt file does not delve into.

Best, and thanks again,
      Brian

15. Leo says:

Hi Derek.

First of all, your theme is a good looking theme. I like it. I plan to use it on my blog. But I’m having the same problem as Emre Can Ayd?n. I want that big thumbnail for the latest post to be small as the other thumbnails. I’ve tried your modified index.php. And the thumbnails stuck each other. So I’m guessing the modified functions.php fix them, right? But the problem is I don’t know where to put the new line. Every time I put the new modified functions.php on line 35, I got server error. Tried to replace what was on line 35, I got server error again. So could you please upload the full modified functions.php please? That would be very helpful. Thx.

16. Ewan says:

First of all, this is one of the nicest themes I’ve seen – it really stands out, very professional!

My php is rough at best – I was hoping to use your theme, but have a specific set of categories as the first 5 ‘featured posts’ on the front page, rather than the last X number of posts. Is it possible for you to give me a hint for a good way to achieve this?

No problem if not – thanks again for the theme.

17. Paulo says:

Hi Derek, great theme! I am tweaking a bit. I would like to know where I can change the size of the thumb (featured image). I tried the css – .secondary-post, .secondary-post a {height: 150px;} – and changed to 260px, the “box height changed, but thumb t self no (still 150px). Thanks!

18. Lauren says:

Hi Derek, great theme! You don’t know how long I’ve been looking for something like this. You have ended the search! Just a quick question, I saw that you previously mentioned replacing the logo where the ‘unstandard’ logo is, would I go to the header.php to edit this?

19. Lauren says:

Two more quick questions, sorry to bother!
    1) How do I remove the ‘0 comment’ bar from the bottom of each post?
    2) Is it possible to make each thumbnail a full size image on the home page?