Browser testing and a standalone IE7

If like me, you loathe the thought of your own work looking disheveled any web browser other than the one you use on a daily basis, you understand the importance of testing with alternate browsers. As much as I would love to see all web pages rendered consistently in all browsers across the board, reality speaks otherwise. Fortunately, IE6 will soon see it’s replacement in the form of IE7. What will become of the countless browser hacks in place once the world wakes up to load IE7 is beyond me and warrants a standalone post beyond the scope of what I’ve planned here.

browsers

Personally, I prefer testing and re-resting work in multiple browsers before moving on to a new portion of the project. The standard browser arsenal on my trusty IBM X40 includes the following: IE5, IE6, IE7 Beta 2, Opera 8 Beta, and Firefox 1.5. Testing pages in any one of those browsers assures me that what I code is displayed as it should be for a good percentage of viewers. If you’re curious on how I’ve managed to run IE5, 6 and 7 concurrently, know that 5 and 7 are standalone versions which do no require installation. Curious readers can check J. Galloway’s IE7 launch script [bat file] which conveniently cleans out any remnants of the beta browser upon shutting down. I wouldn’t mind zipping up the complete distribution for download here but I would prefer to keep Microsoft emails out of my inbox. Now if I could just get my hands on a new Intel iMac or Macbook so I could load XP and test with all know browsers from a single machine… Safari screenshots and the occasional time in front of spazs iBook can only do so much.

1. Dylan says:

Your Firefox looks sexy . . .

Is the IE7 beta better than Firefox?

Yeah right . . .

2. Jon says:

For some strange reason, this post isn’t showing up in your RSS feed!

I had no idea until that screenshot that your site had a favicon (I turn them off in Safari). I’d love an iMac too–I’m slowly convincing myself I need one i.e. I don’t, but gosh they are beautiful. I just saw the first videos of Half Life 2 running on an Intel Mac, which is a selling point too.

3. Jon says:

Also, I meant to say: is there an IE equivalent to Safaritest? There should be. I’ve read so many people saying the main reason they want to run XP on their Mac is so they can test their site designs in IE.

dylan: ie7 ain’t so shabby. i wish the links to external links would open in new tabs rather then new windows. not a big deal since i don’t use the browser as a main browser.

jon: not sure why it wasn’t showing. feedburner is showing the post if you click on ‘subscribe’ in the drop down shelf. maybe update your feed if you didn’t get the feedburner feed before i updated. as far as an ie version to safarishots, you might want to check out browsershots.

5. Jon says:

Yeah, it showed up a little while later. Strange.

Browsershots is weird, there’s a queue/waiting time. I realised that I had Virtual PC lying around, so I’ve just installed XP on my iBook. It runs pretty horribly, but it’s good enough to fulfill my needs. I must go install IE7 now.

6. Dylan says:

Why do your firefox buttons look like that?

dylan: my firefox install is standard. the buttons are no different from any other install. if you’re referring to the fact that the ‘forward’ and ‘stop’ button as being inactive? that might be something to do with the screenshot utility that i was using.

8. Dylan says:

No, there just so small! What screen res are you using?

P.S. Still considering the name for that offer . . . mabey nolo?

running 1024 x 768 px. average screen size. the buttons must look smaller because of the screenshot.

10. jeff noble says:

hey, just wanted to pipe in and say how much i appreciate your work and observations on the site… i’m just now starting to study website basics, and have enjoyed your input.

11. Jimmy says:

Hey, I’ve said it before and I am gonna say it again, You do really beautiful web design