What Apple ProCare service?

Bleeding Apple Cinema Display LCD

Two days ago I noticed a saddening spectacle as I witnessed a dark irregular shape creep across the corner of one of my 23" Apple Cinema Displays. In stark contrast to a previous Apple service visit with ProCare membership in hand, a recent visit to the U-Village Apple Store was a complete surprise.

As stated on the Apple ProCare page, members are entitled to what is recognized as the Fast Track service:

ProCare is your ticket to priority repairs and available same-day service at the Genius Bar. Members get "Next in line, first on the bench" service on all in-store repairs. And if you have a quick technical question, just flash your card, and we’ll work you in as soon as we can.

Essentially, based on my knowledge of the service and experience from a previous visit ‘n drop with my MacBook, the entire process of leaving my display for repair should have been ~10 mins. rather than 1.5 hours.

The visit began with my arrival – Apple Display in hand. I approached the Genius Bar and politely spoke to Susan informing her of my request for assistance. She asked if I had previously registered for an appointment using any one of the computers in the store. I replied with a simple "no" citing the fact that I was a ProCare member. The reply: "you’ll still need to register for an appointment".

What? I though the value of the ProCare membership included what was known as Fast Track, or "Next in line, first on the bench"? I scratched my head, befuddled as I witnessed two additional ProCare members stunned that they would also need to register for an appointment. Even more aggravating was witnessing a recently finished Genius Bar rep reach out asking a customer if they had been helped yet? No registration, no name, straight into troubleshooting an application issue.

Had it not been for the interesting conversation I had with another customer about an iPod, the original Apple II series, and price difference of LCD’s 7 years ago in comparison to todays offerings, I might have literally gone crazy.

Bitch and moan Derek? Oh yes, very much so. I’ve even gone Dell because of today – 30" UltraSharp Widescreen 3007WFP to be exact.

Not exactly sure what the display setup will be. I’m going to be posting one of my 23" inch displays (the newer one) on Craigslist locally in order to save myself and the buyer from shipping costs.

Concerning the display mentioned above, it’s on its way to Apple for repair.

2. Glenn Wolsey says:

You ordered a 30″ display..? Thats sweet, Dell or Apple, its still a 30″ display. What will your display setup consist of now?

3. Joshua says:

Were you able to get the 23″ display fixed?

I think it was something more along the lines of whoever was supervising the Genius Bar didn’t study their Apple services.

6. Very odd, you should go further on this and complain. After all, you paid for that ProCare card. Maybe your store was just very misinformed about the service.

7. Glenn Wolsey says:

[quote comment=”46754″]Not exactly sure what the display setup will be. I’m going to be posting one of my 23″ inch displays (the newer one) on Craigslist.[/quote]

So it’s likely to be a 23" ACD and a 30" Dell? Thought of posting the other 23" for sale and grabbing another 30" Dell?

8. Derek, there is no such thing as excessive if you cna afford it (and since you made a spur purchase of a 30″ Dell monitor, we’ll assume that you can). 🙂

9. really? weird, my buddy uses his Procare at the Alderwood Apple store and cuts up in line all the time. Sounds like they dont know what they’re doin down in the district (which doesn’t really surprise me all that much).

How much are you sellin your 23″ for?

10. Eli says:

[quote comment=”46760″]Two 30" displays would be massive and excessive. (But that’s only what I’m saying now).[/quote]

I think you’ll find that you never really can have big enough 😉 My dual 30″ ACD setup works great, in the future I’m leaning toward a 1920×1080 LCD or projector…lose some real-estate but easier on the eyes.

[quote comment=”46762″]How much are you sellin your 23″ for?[/quote]

It’s on CL right now. Hoping to get $775 but will settle for $750.

12. Jack says:

I can’t believe they would treat a paying member like that. I think that customer service is the one thing that can really make or break a business these days.

congrats on the new display! the way i see it, you can’t go wrong buying a dell or hp display!

13. Tom says:

I agree with Arjun, Derek. You owe it to yourself as a “premium” customer and future customers to speak up and let them know that kind of thing is unacceptable.

Apple techs had literally beaten my laptop with a hammer (long story) and I fought hard for weeks, but eventually got them to apologize AND pay for the damages they tried to blame on me.

The point is, you HAVE to stick up for yourself, even regarding those little things, because as the customer base grows, Apple HAS to know their quality of service cannot erode.

From what I’ve gathered after a few phone calls, ProCare service varies from store-to-store. Registration may still be required in order to be serviced at the Genius Bar (which is a little odd when on of the selling points of ProCare that convinced me was being able to show your cad in order to expedite help requests). Regardless, the incident was logged by Apple.

15. Adam C. says:

I agree with Tom, you owe it to yourself and Apple needs to know that their reps are screwing up. Take it up the chain, I’m sure someone will be along to apologize in short order.

16. Adam C. says:

That is odd.
    From apple.com

ProCare is your ticket to priority repairs and available same-day service at the Genius Bar. Members get “Next in line, first on the bench” service on all in-store repairs. And if you have a quick technical question, just flash your card, and we’ll work you in as soon as we can.

Maybe it’s the word available that’s tripping us up. I certainly sounds like you should get seen right away.

How horrible? What I’ve come to realize is that the premium on an aluminum housed display is not worth it. Not to mention the fact that Apple Cinema Displays ship with a 1-yr. limited warranty vs. Dell’s 3-yr. limited warranty.

18. Andre says:

You bought a Dell monitor? How horrible.

19. Andre says:

I wasn’t actually serious. A 30" monitor is a 30" monitor; congrats on your purchase. 😛

20. Nathan Garza says:

Way to go on the new monitor. Having used both Apple and Dell Monitors, I’d have to say I’ve never seen a difference other than price. I love my Dell Monitor. The actual computer though, that’s a different story…