$200 iPhone price-cut?! I expected that next year
UPDATE 09/06: Steve Jobs posts an open letter confirming that early iPhone adopters will receive a $100 voucher to be used at the Apple Store.
September 5th, Apple announces new iPod hardware – which iPod are you? Not surprising considering early rumors spoke of such updates weeks ago. What was not expected was the significant price-drop for the hottest selling smartphone last month [July 2007], the Apple iPhone. How significant of a price-drop? $200. As an early [iPhone] adopter, I was a little flustered with the news.
A few thoughts that came to mind after reading the news:
- As Apple’s hottest selling device, the iPod has never had as significant of a price-drop in a period less than 2 years, let alone 2 months.
- News of software / hardware SIM unlocking (confirmed by CNN) surely made at&t unhappy. Apple obviously does not "technically" condone such activities. However, 3rd party iPhone unlocking only translates into more money coming Apple’s way.
- Check here for the 4GB iPhone ($299) while supplies last. Otherwise, look for $299 [refurbished] Phone’s in the Apple Refurb store. Trust me, they’ll hit the refurb store within the new few weeks (or sooner). Check daily because as soon as they go up, they’ll all be spoken for by the end of the day.
- Umm, two months equals twice the storage – 8GB to 16GB? Come on Apple, admit it! These were ready at the end of June but the idea of making an extra $200 off of early adopters for an 8GB iPhone was too hard to resist.
- That iPhone Touch looks quite empty with 7 applications on the SpringBoard and 4 in the dock. *cough*. Better hurry up and get those 99 cent downloads to load Dashboard widgets on to the iPod Touch / iPhones.
- Speaking of 99 cent downloads… I can understand charging 99 cents for custom ringtones, but doing so for customers who have already purchased the song?! $1.98 + tax to purchase the complete song and have the matching ringtone? Psh, Ambrosia’s iToner is only $15 (alternatives below).
- Want to sell more of these handsets Apple? Hurry up and get Mobile iChat with support for AIM + Google Talk.
As difficult as it is to stomach the $200 price change, I’ll forgive you Apple. As long as you hurry up and bring MacBook Pro revisions with a model to replace the classic 12" PowerBook – give us a MacBook Pro Mini. If such hardware is released, I promise to be an early adopter again.
* Maybe send early iPhone adopters a free Bluetooth headset voucher eh?
** iPhone and soon to be iPod Touch users should check out some of the following alternatives to personalize their devices: Installer.app Beta, iFuntastic, and Shaun Inman’s An Easy SSH / SFTP iPhone Installer.
Save on Wholesale Electronics
When you search online you are sure to get the best prices on consumer electronics. It’s easy to just rush off to the store for an electronics purchase, but taking the time to look up wholesale electronics can save you thousands on your technology purchases.